Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Vegan Story

My Vegan Story

When I was about ten years old I watched "It Is Written" on TV and wrote in for their Bible course.

It was Seventh Day Adventist broadcast.

I soon believed in God and promised to follow the ten commandments and keep the Saturday Sabbath.

A couple Saturdays later, my dad asked me to mow the lawn and I said no. I was too embarrassed to say why.

I also promised to myself to eat veggies like God intended in the Garden of Eden.

I listened to my Bach record during the day and prayed with my Bible at night. I didn't have many friends.

One night my mom came into my room and woke me up.

She sat at the foot of my bed and looked at me and said "Erik, are you a vegetarian?" I nodded yes.

My mom said I had been looking so sad and low in energy and hadn't been eating dinner.

She said they wanted their old Erik back.

While my mom was talking, my dad was in the kitchen making midnight bacon.

But I wasn't sad because of my diet, it was because of the changes in my body and in myself.

And I read in my Bible, it said "For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures..."

I didn't know what divers lusts were.

But I knew the divers must be sneaking off behind the large boulders at the bottom of the sea and doing bad things. There were bad things I couldn't stop doing and I knew the deep sea divers must be having the same problem. All I could do was read my Bible and pray for help

About four years passed and became vegetarian again at around 14 and have been since. Not long after that I moved to Japan.

I because vegan about ten or so years ago.

It's funny, Christians pray before each meal, but their plates are typically full of death and torture.

But after I became vegan, each meal was like a prayer. Because I was doing my best to help everyone be happy.

I didn't have to say a separate prayer. The meal itself was like a prayer.

I have two children. When they just turned teenage we drove half a day to Sacramento, California to Animal Sanctuary. A volunteer there showed them around the goats and cows and pigs so we could all meet meat.

The animal friends all looked so happy. That's the best thing anyone can do for their children.

I've moved around and spent most of my life in Japan, where I am now. Almost all the Buddhist priests here eat meat.

I don't listen to anything they say.

Because I know whatever they say, in the end there's a sad, disappointed pig or cow friend that they have to kill.

So when they talk it's like this.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo.
Bibbidi Bobbidi Bibbidi Bobbidi , Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo
Bibbidi Bobbidi Bibbidi Bobbidi...

Dead animal

There's always a sad animal at the end.

So I can't listen anymore.

Now I feel like the boy in Sixth Sense who whispered to Bruce Willis "I can see dead people..."

Now I can see meatatarians. It's scary.

I love them but I'd never listen to anything philosophical they say.

Being vegan gives meaning to my life.

Thank you everybody!

So that's my story!

^_^)/

3 comments:

  1. ...spent most of my life in Japan, where I am now. Almost all the Buddhist priests here eat meat..I know whatever they say, in the end there's a sad, disappointed pig or cow friend that they have to kill...

    Don't fret. "Sad, disappointed" describes all Japanese, especially now since our pig or cow friends are radioactive.
    因果応報 --- What goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, at least the turtles are normal though...

    http://www.mylesofinternets.com/MylesNetsWebArt/Images/flying-turtle.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like turtles. http://youtu.be/CMNry4PE93Y
    . . . Japan's foremost flying turtle, Gamera.

    As for cows...
    http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/images/farcow2.gif

    ReplyDelete